The District was formed in 1946 under the Sanitary District Act of 1923. Government Code, Section 6400.
Presently the District boundaries include all of the unincorporated community of San Andreas as well as some areas outside. There currently exists within the District boundary approximately 1240 acres, of which approximately 210 acres are undeveloped. The population of the community served is approximately 2170 people.
The collection system, treatment plant and disposal system were built in the mid 1950’s. The original system was paid by tax payers within the District through public bonds which were retired through monthly user fees and property taxes. The District is regulated by the State Water Resources Control Board and must comply with a permit issued by them called the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System or N.P.D.E.S. permit. The N.P.D.E.S. permit limits the amount of constituents a treatment facility can legally discharge after proper treatment.