February 2015 SASD News
Winter Office Hours
Beginning January 20th, our office hours changed and we are open for business from 8:30 till 3:30, Monday thru Thursday. Please remember we have a secure drop box at the main gate. We’ve also added a drop box outside the office door, in case the gate is open but the office is closed when you get here.
Sewer Factoid: Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG)
Fats, oils and grease from food preparation, residential and food manufacturing sites
Meat fats, lard, cooking oil, shortening, butter, margarine, food scraps, baking goods, sauces, and dairy products
FOG in the sewer system can cause backups in the pipes and cause problems at the Treatment Plant.
Here are some quick Dos & Don'ts to keep fats, oils and grease out of our sewer system.
- Wipe down greasy pots and pans with a dry paper towel and dispose of it in your kitchen scrap recycling or garbage
- Do not pour FOG down the garbage disposal or sink drain
- Do not use hot water to wash the grease down the drain
- Pour cooled oil, fats and grease into a can with a tight lid (coffee can) and dispose of it in the garbage
Here is a list of other items that should never be flushed down the toilet:
- Baby wipes and diapers
- Rags and towels
- Food wrappers
- Clothing labels
- Cleaning sponges
- Plastic items of any description
- Rubber items such as latex gloves
- Sanitary napkins
Source: Water Environment Foundation (WEF.org)